Thursday, May 14, 2020

Taiwan - Taipei Street Scenes, Tent Protest / Road to Work

Some take to their tents as a way to attract attention to their cause.  Don't know what this says, but there is clearly a message.

Others that have taken to the tent life to protest in urban streets are featured in this post from Paris, France, and this post from across the White House in Washington, D.C.
_______________

[continued from yesterday's post; series started 05/09]
When I look back on those days at KOBS, one of the things I remember most was the bicycle ride to work.  Mom never gave me a ride, and almost never let me drive, even when I had to start pedaling at 3:45 a.m. for a sign-on shift...and the latter third of the route was along the service road of I-10!  It was her position that if I wanted to take on a job, I could earn enough to buy my own car or ride a bike.  It was a great lesson in responsibility, and though it was tough at the time I do not regret being made to do it.

And it was a long ride, too.  From our house at 1512 Chapman I would go down Link street up to West Park Avenue.  When Park hit I-10 I'd stay on the feeder, cross Highway 62, and keep going until time to turn right onto Burton toward the station.  After leaving the highway it was a quiet, peaceful ride through a neighborhood that had decent-size houses on large lots separated by patches of woods.  Burton took a few bends and turns, then suddenly there was the field to the right where I could see the tower.  I really got a charge of energy whenever I first saw that tower, knowing that  1) I was almost there;  and 2) soon enough my own voice and my own show would be transmitted from that tower!

It was a right turn onto Kobs Korner and into the property.  As stated a few posts ago (and can be seen on Google Maps now), the street was a decent, paved, straight road for a few hundred feet, then there was a stop at a homemade gate that Kobs jury-rigged to prevent someone from inadvertently wandering onto the station grounds.  There may have even been a lock there.  Anyway, once going through, it got curvy and very rutted for a few hundred more feet, with weeds growing tall on both sides.  Then the station had sort of a yard with a picnic table, a small storage shed that housed lawn care equipment, and the station itself.  For me it was a pleasant and interesting ride, even though it was 7.5 miles one way.


The station building, with Jason's car in front.  The structure to the left housed the lawn mower and other equipment to maintain the property, which Kobs did himself.




From the station building looking out on the curvy dirt road described above, with my dad's car in the foreground.  During my second stint there, while living in Beaumont, I had to drive to work as opposed to riding my bicycle when I lived in Orange.



No comments: