Saturday, May 30, 2020

Taiwan - Taipei Street Scenes, Signage #11 / Jim Lago at KTRM

This ticks all the boxes - good reflection, colors against black background, contrast with subject, and basketball to boot...
_______________

[continued from yesterday's post; series started 05/09]
I cannot think about KTRM without thinking about Jim Lago.  Jim was good on the air, but definitely had a few rough edges.  At heart he was a good man, however, and I learned a life lesson from him later on, during the summer of 1977 when I was at Channel 6.  Jim was hired on as weekend weather guy, and during one weathercast I was behind camera three as usual.  When the director cut to my camera it was trained on Jim, who started to talk when the red light came on.  Thing was, nobody heard anything!  Over the headphones the director was in minor panic mode, asking me what was going on.  I noticed on the camera's monitor that Jim wasn't mic'd up.  Seeing this, I stepped out from behind the camera, made a gesture that he wasn't wearing his microphone, and instantly he ad-libbed a sentence or two (not that anybody could hear it) while, right one the air during the weathercast, he stepped behind the weatherboard, slung a lavaliere around his neck, and carried on.

In a few minutes, when the cast was over and we'd cut to commercial, Jim headed straight for me, patted me on the back and thanked me for bailing him out.  There had been friction from our days at KTRM, but immediately all of the animosity from the past evaporated!  It was an incredibly good feeling.  Later in life, when I cared about reading such things, the Bible passage came to my attention that says, "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins." (I Peter 4:8, NIV)

In another aside, more than 30 years later I was in Corpus Christi for a conference of some sort.  One day while there I turned on the radio in the car, and who comes out of the speaker but Jim Lago!  This time he was hosting a local conservative talk show.  Though this was more than 30 years later he still sounded the same, but obviously had mellowed out a lot.  And some of the things he said led me to believe that he may have even turned to Christ in the meantime.  If that's the case then I'll look very much forward to seeing him later on...


Jim Lago

No comments: