Friday, May 22, 2020

Taiwan - Taipei Street Scenes, Signage #3 / Defection and Return

Saw an opportunity here, so applied glowing edges to the foot:


_______________

[continued from yesterday's post; series started 05/09]
I took sort of a leave of absence once during my tenure at KOBS.  My parents had gotten a divorce, and my father remarried and moved to Beaumont.  I made the decision to move to Beaumont with him and his new family, and decided to quit radio work so that I wouldn't have to drive to Orange all the time and create stress for the family.  I took a job at Market Basket on Calder, but hated it.  After a few months there I told Dad of my misery and he let me call Kobs to see if something was open.

Now KOBS was a rock-bottom, barely-alive station that, as mentioned in earlier posts, was built from scratch from the ground up.  It is doubtful that sales came at all close to covering expenses.  And in spite of the fact that it was an FM station it didn't even broadcast in stereo because it would have cost so much more to build and operate.  So Kobs hired rock-bottom talent as well - in other words, those with no experience at all such as myself who would work for minimum wage.  Anyone who was worth anything as an announcer considered the place just a launching pad to bigger and better markets, and a lot of jocks in the Beaumont-Port Arthur stations got their start there (again, including myself).  This created a sort of revolving door, and left Kobs in the lurch sometimes for DJ announcers.  In fact, the length of the shifts we had to work reflected this; if there was no shortage of announcers we worked four-hour shows like the other stations...when the DJ's were pulling 8-hour shifts you knew someone quit and new-hires weren't yet hired to take their place.  When things got desperate Kobs himself worked as a DJ using the air name "Chuck Hubert".

Well, I'd been listening in, and hearing Kobs do his show gave me confidence that I'd have no trouble coming back into the fold.  I called the station and his wife answered.  Mrs. Kobs and I never got along well, but when she heard my request she actually sounded excited, and told me to come in to sign on the following day...the key would, literally, be under the mat.  The next morning I drove there from Beaumont, got the key from under the mat and signed on as if no time had passed at all.  They arrived at their usual business hours and said they were glad to see me.

No comments: