Thursday, May 21, 2020

Taiwan - Taipei Street Scenes, Signage #2 / Lightning Strike

Not unlike this post from the suspension bridge, these characters caught my eye.  They were hanging on a banner, and each one was printed on a separate page in one of about five colors.  In Photoshop I selected the characters, expanding the selection by about 10 pixels to create a rim of the colored paper they were on.

Found Edges effect below, then the original below that:



_______________

[continued from yesterday's post; series started 05/09]
One time there was a lightning strike at the station.  It made quite a noise because the current went down the tower, through the transmitter, snaked into the studio and fried the first stage oscillator.  The room filled with a bright flash and we were off the air.

It happened on a Saturday night about 8:00 when I was carrying the evening shift until the usual sign-off at 10:00p.  The Kobs' home number was posted by the phone in case of an emergency so I immediately called it and got no answer.  Thinking they were out to eat or something I continued calling every 15 minutes until the wee hours.  Before it got to that point, however, I called home to explain that I'd be spending the night at the station to deal with the problem.  I finally fell asleep about 1:15 a.m.

Randy Fuller had the morning shift the next day, and imagine his surprise when he saw me splayed out on the floor unconscious...thought I got hit on the head or worse by an intruder! After waking up I told him what happened, and he told me to go home and get some sleep.  The Kobs' were out of town for the weekend.

No comments: