Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Austin - Capitol Grounds, Supplicant / Journey into Another Language, College

This ranks as one of my favorites of the entire Austin shoot.  Interesting how a concept is born in the field, then can develop further during post-capture.

Wider view of same below:


Next, pictures of the capitol building itself, then going inside...
_______________

[continued from yesterday's post; series started 07/05]
I started out at SFA as a forestry major.  In those days the forestry program at Stephen F. Austin in Nacogdoches was the number one school in the nation for those interested in such things.  I was operating on the assumption that once a person has a degree in forestry a lot of time is spent frolicking outdoors and communing with nature.  Soon it became evident, however, that this is not the case - having a degree in forestry means a lot of time in the office and, worse, having to use a lot of math!  Though we did spend some time outdoors, my interest waned with each passing semester.  Thus, my grades waned also, and that put me in trouble.

Trouble because my father would only foot his portion of the college funds so long as I maintained a 3.0 average.  I could see the clouds of poverty looming on the horizon.  So what to do?

Well, by my fourth semester at college something had to be done, and the solution hit me in a flash - I'll take Spanish to bring my average up!  And so it was that I chose to dive back into the language as an easy way to maintain a grade point average that would keep the money flowing into my coffers.  This strategy worked like a charm.

More importantly, it got me back into a flow that I very much enjoyed.  I got along well with most of my professors, and seemed to fit with the kind of crowd that gravitated to such a course of study.  Besides - per the plan - it was easy to maintain a very good average and be recognized as one of the top students in the field.  I was on my way.

No comments: