Friday, July 10, 2020

Austin - Capitol Exteriors, Dome with Flag Behind Trees / Journey into Another Language, Back to College and Beyond

As stated in an earlier post, on our morning walks to Chenjean's meetings we cut through the capitol grounds approaching the back of the building.  Being shortly after sunrise the light was favorable.

_______________

[continued from yesterday's post; series started 07/05]
So I was off...I could now speak Spanish and hold my own in talking about almost anything.  I was fluent.  Many of my fellow students notice the difference upon my return from living in Mexico, and I took on a new role as tutor of my classmates.  This is when I discovered that I enjoy teaching.  I would reserve a classroom in the education building on certain evenings there at SFA.  Before my regular Spanish classes began during the day I would write the room number and time for the tutoring sessions on the chalkboard, then my classmates that needed it would show up to get a boost before a test, or just to brush up.  I would be there, chalk in hand, ready with examples and a teaching style that resembled entertainment more than instruction.  It worked; the evening night sessions became popular, and I made a firm decision that teaching Spanish was what I wanted to do.  It was a good time, and a heady experience, but most of all I was proud that I'd accomplished something that no one else in my family had, which made it all my own:  I'd mastered a foreign language.

Life went on.  After the summer of 1980 I made regular trips back to Mexico where I'd lived near Allende, Coahuila.  My abilities grew and I ended up becoming a high school Spanish teacher...had some good years, others not so good, but stuck with it for fifteen years.  At times in church I preached and taught in Spanish, and at the Jersey Village Church of Christ was a deacon in charge of Mexico missions, making one or two trips into the interior of the country per year to check up on our missionaries.  I had done it, and was making use of my abilities to be a blessing to others.

So it was with surprise that I ran head-on into the fates that interrupted that flow, and took me on a journey into yet ANOTHER language...

No comments: