Saturday, December 24, 2022

Downtown Austin 2022 - Saint Mary Cathedral Spires #1

As per usual, when the wife travels to attend a conference, I take some vacation time and tag along.  While she's in her meetings I'm free to wander with the Bigger Cahoona to either scout or take photographs.  This is how I got the pics for the Denver 2017 series, the McKinney Falls series, the Austin series posted June through September of 2020, and many others.

This particular conference was two full days with a stay of three nights in Austin, so I decided to use the first full day just to scout.  After her meetings started, on that first day I took a gander around the neighborhood, which was on the southern edge of downtown, then trekked deeper into downtown to see what might be worth capturing the next day.  Photographically I was armed with only my iPhone 11 to capture references such as street intersections and landmarks for the return trip.  And as is usually the case, several times I regretted not having the D850, but didn't yet know how safe it would be hauling that thing around while by myself.  Turns out it wasn't so bad.

So here we are with what was captured on that second day.  There were some pretty interesting things going on - such as the construction of the tallest building to date in the city - but this is what caught my eye first: the juxtaposition of the old Saint Mary Catholic Cathedral, built in the 1800's, against the modern Texas Tribune building behind it.

No comments: