Friday, December 1, 2017

Cruise 2017 - Jamaica, African Gray from Behind / Perico in Mexico

When I was living in Mexico back in the early 1980's a bird I saw down there comes to mind.  His name was Perico, which is the word for parrot in Spanish, and he was an Amazon Green, just a bit smaller than the African Gray in these pics.  The funny thing about Perico was that he didn't fly, in spite of the fact that no one clipped his wings...he just preferred to walk places, we concluded.  There was a large tree close to my house, and Perico was often seen climbing up into it to observe people and generally be a part of things.  He grew to know everyone pretty well, and would come down when encouraged by his friends.

One day I was walking down a road a few blocks from home and there he was, walking the other way, headed for his tree.  I'd heard someone calling for him a minute or so before...

No comments: