Saturday, August 20, 2016

Civil War Reenactment - Confederate Position / Rebel Flag

This is the entire Confederate position in the reenactment, which was way off to one side of the field.

Something to say about that flag.  In the fall of 1981 I was driving through the Deep South and stopped in Columbia, SC, to visit a friend.  As I was driving around looking for his place, the state capitol building suddenly loomed ahead of me with this flag perched on top, beneath the state flag.  The sight appalled me!  I remember thinking, "What are they doing with that thing up there...didn't it go out a long time ago?"  Also I was sure that it must be offensive to a large portion of the state's population to see it there day after day.

Fast-forward to recent times when another battle played out - this time in the courts - to finally remove the thing.  I was glad with the result, and saddened that too often mankind must be forced to do the right thing by others.

No comments: