Tuesday, August 30, 2016

2015 Cruise - 2015 Cruise, Tug with Barge

What must it be like to make your living - or even to live - on the water?  Met someone while I was teaching down at Clear Creek High School that lived on a boat and they were a unique, fun-loving and adventurous couple.

My dad was one that would have done something like that given a choice.  We always had a boat in the family, and some of my earliest memories are of a week-long vacation that we took on the water, traveling along the intercoastal waterway heading east from Orange, Texas.  There were six of us in our little cabin cruiser - my parents, three of us boys and our German shepherd, Rinnie.  I guess it must have been a little cramped, but to my five-year-old eyes there was plenty of room for us all, as there was a separate bathroom, kitchen area and places for us to sleep.  Dad was a good planner, and had it mapped out where to get gas and enjoy some excursions during our stops.  Very good memories that were very fortunately captured on 8mm film that we watch from time to time.

No comments: