Friday, January 1, 2021

Captured inside the lodge of a place close to Houston called "Chain-O-Lakes", near Cleveland, with the Fujifilm Finepix 3800.

That place is where one of the scariest moments of my parenthood took place.  My son and I were in a kayak early one morning when we spotted an alligator in the water.  No surprise; the place was chock full of them, and the strategy was always to keep your distance and they'd leave you alone.  But this time something happened that could have made that impossible.

We were respectfully keeping our distance just watching the gator when some teens in a nearby canoe approached and started throwing rocks and sticks at him.  As I was witnessing this it dawned on me that Andrew was between me and the beast, and if he got mad and went after somebody there was no time for me to do anything about it.  Real fear!  All I could do about it was say a silent prayer, which must have worked because the gator didn't do anything but cast a lazy eye at the teens before slipping closer to shore...

No comments: