Thursday, January 28, 2021

Bookmark - Bellville Bovines

In my criminal justice life I sometimes worked with Carolyn Bilski, the Austin County Judge there in Bellville.  She was an amazing person, who was the most hands-on elected official I knew, with perhaps the exception of Nate McDonald in Matagorda County, one of my heroes in life.  It was told that during the tumultuous days when the millions of Houston were being evacuated because of Hurricane Ike, she stood right in the middle of the street guiding traffic around the sometimes-confusing road that encircles the courthouse.  Amazing lady.  And whenever we had our yearly community planning meeting there in the basement of that same courthouse, Judge Bilski would be down there right with me setting up tables and arranging chairs.  I will always admire the selfless energy she expended for her constituency, as well as for the region as a long-standing H-GAC Board member.

Anyway, Judge Bilski invited me to this cattle drive through the center of Bellville, and I was pleased to be able to capture this juxtaposition of the old and the new, with the longhorns and cowboys against a backdrop of modern buildings.

No comments: