Friday, April 27, 2018

McKinney Falls State Park - Zooming In with the Bigger Cahoona

One of the things I like to do is compare shots to illustrate the power of a zoom lens.  In the shot above I'm standing in a huge expanse of rock near the Lower Falls fully zoomed out to 28mm with my middling, "vacation" lens.  Observe the orange rectangle.  Moments after taking this picture I zoomed in fully to 300mm, the frame from which is below:

Now observe the orange rectangle in this picture.  Combining the incredible reach of the lens with the huge pixel count of the D850, the potential of capturing shots from a distance is seen when this second picture is cropped to 100%, or "Actual Pixels" in Photoshop.  This is an advantage to someone like me - not for people shots, but for whatever may be encountered during a wildlife shoot:


No comments: