Wednesday, April 18, 2018

McKinney Falls State Park - Upper Falls with Variable Shutter Speeds

Not too long ago my wife had a meeting for work in Austin at the Airport Hilton hotel.  I typically drive (or fly) with her to these meetings and while away the time taking pictures somewhere.  To my amazement, not a five minute drive from Bergstrom is this state park, complete with waterfalls, called McKinney Falls State Park.  After dropping her off for the day's meeting I made a beeline...

And it was worth every moment!  This is what they call the Upper Falls.  It had not been raining much, so the water was contained within these mini-gorges, making them look a bit bigger than they actually are; it was in fact easy to cross the falls by stepping from one rock to the next.

I got there early and it was a school day, so was able to capture people-free pics, at least at the beginning of my time there.  The circumstances also allowed me the freedom to pick any spot and take some time to do a little experimenting.  This being a waterfall, the most likely way to experiment was with shutter speed!  I sat down on a rock with a good vantage point, steadied the Bigger Cahoona placing elbows on knees, and shot using a variety of settings.  If you'll notice, the shutter speed for the four pics posted here are included in the lower-left corner of each picture, with the fastest (1/250th of a second) above down to the slowest (1/6th of a second) at the bottom.  Note that these were taken without a tripod other than the bones of my frame, and were not sharpened at all in Photoshop.  You can be the judge as to which looks best:




No comments: