Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Orange, Texas Visitor Center - Heron Roosting #5 / Robbie the Watchdog

Back in my college days, for the Christmas of 1978, I went up north to Wilmington, Delaware, to visit family.  It was my first time there, as Dad had recently transferred back from Orange with DuPont.

Because it was my first visit, and because I was scheduled to arrive in the wee hours, Dad left a key under the mat, but with a warning:  Robbie, their golden retriever, may take measures to protect the territory.  I was told to be cautious upon entering the house.

After arriving from the airport at almost 4:00 in the morning I retrieved the key and very quietly inserted it, hoping not to alert Robbie.  I opened the door and peered inside, not stepping in until I was sure it was safe.

Nothing happened, so in I went, setting my suitcase just inside the door.  Since Robbie still hadn't made her presence known I felt she must be behind something, waiting for just the right moment to pounce.  Very quietly I surveyed the area and, seeing no activity, went into the kitchen downstairs.  Nothing.  The family room, where the fireplace was...nothing there either.  Where's this ferocious dog?

It was while in the formal living room that I heard a faint scratching sound, then something going "bump bump" as if it were thumping on the floor.  The noise got louder when I went back into the kitchen.  After a few seconds I was able to isolate it...under the table, where Robbie was trembling in fear so badly that her legs were shaking enough to cause her claws to scratch on the linoleum floor.  Her imploring eyes told enough of the story - we'll be great friends if you don't scare me like that again!

No comments: