Thursday, August 24, 2017

Denver 2017 - State Capitol Staircase / Living in Memphis

Being a weekday while school was still in session - and while the legislature was not in session - left the place pretty much empty.  Occasionally I had to wait for a tourist or two to wander off the frame, but not often.  Basically I had all the time I wanted to set up for shots and experiment with adjustments.
_______________

A couple of posts or so ago I described my first impressions of Memphis, and how it came to be that I ended up making the town my home.  For two years I lived there while teaching high school classes in Spanish and science.  Though it was mighty rough for a guy like me having such a high-profile job in a town like Memphis, I look back fondly at my time there in spite of the crucible that it was.  It was a (somewhat) maturing experience.

One of the big reasons the place was great was because my apartment was in the back corner of a quadriplex on the corner of Peachtree and 16th Street.  There was a greater degree of privacy there, as not a single window faced a street.  On top of that, I never had a telephone for the entire two years I lived there, and it was many months before I even bought my first television set.  Since introverts gain strength through solitude, by the end of my time there my sense of contentment and well-being were really getting back on track after the disaster of my graduate year at SFA.

And it was not without an adventure or two...next Memphis story, appearing on August 28th: The Nosebleed.

No comments: