Monday, July 4, 2016

Tokyo - Getting Around, Utilitarian Bicycles

Bicycles in Japan are everywhere, and serve a utilitarian purpose for all ages.  One can guess that this electric-assisted model serves as a family's minivan of sorts.

I really wanted to get a better picture of the lady below with the two pink pods on her machine, presumably for her small children.  Since we were on the move and she was on the move all I could do was swing the Big Cahoona up and snap blindly, hoping to capture something.  Under the circumstances it came out better than I expected.  These kinds of shots are the reason it's necessary to constantly be aware of what your camera settings are, adjusting them to be ready for the impromptu shot such as this one.  In my case it's 200 ISO, Auto White Balance, P Mode, and -2/3 stop for Exposure Compensation.  Upon going indoors somewhere or in waning light I'll set the ISO to 800.  No matter where I am, every few minutes I'll glance down and take the time to check and make sure the settings are adjusted to that default.  This diligence is borne of sad experience, when some pretty good ones got away.

Regarding capturing these kinds of shots, I've often wished for the time to just sit by a roadside and snap at whatever catches my fancy as it passes by.  Is a photographer invading privacy when he does something like that?  I don't think so, but still sounds kind of spooky.  More than once I've looked at a picture in post-capture and noticed a hard stare from someone in the street eyeing me suspiciously.


No comments: