Friday, July 29, 2016

Japan - Bridgeways and Architecture, Building with Reflection

Reflections are one of my favorite things to capture in a photograph.  It provides interest in addition to giving a picture an element of the abstract.  I could spend an entire day in Houston capturing building reflections from parking garages downtown, but dare not lest I get arrested.

This fear comes from a newspaper article a few years ago about a photographer being arrested because it's supposedly against the law to hang around taking pictures of buildings within the city limits.  On one level that's perfectly understandable, given that terrorists commonly use photography to identify potential targets.  We all get that.  But what about a schmo like me that likes to take pictures such as this and are willing to go to great lengths to get a good image?

In an effort to answer that question I embarked on a quest to find out what the city ordinances are that define  a) which type of photography is prohibited,  b) what enforcement power is behind it, and,  c) if available, what someone like me must do to get a permit to take pictures here or there.  What I found was that there are guidelines - and associated fees - for shoots in specific locations, such as in parts of Hermann Park, but was unsuccessful in locating an ordinance.  I'll keep looking...

No comments: