Monday, June 27, 2016

Japan - Disney, Late Afternoon Castle

This was my last parting shot at the castle on our way out of the park, and it turned out looking OK in the light of the late afternoon sun.

Our time at Disney in Tokyo was our third visit to a Disney park, the first two both being at Disney World in Florida when the kids were small.  Andrew was with us on this one, and I think he made the most of it.  So what was different about Disney in Japan as opposed to Disney in the States?  In terms of layout, rides, etc. none at all...except for the fact that Halloween was everywhere, which probably would not be the case in the U.S.

In terms of the visitors and general comportment of the people, there was a vast difference.  Of course zero trash everywhere...but that's almost the case in the States on a Disney property.  And naturally everything was very orderly, as seen in the post featuring the baby strollers that started off this series.  There was never any unruly behavior or skipping in line, and no shouting or even loud talk, even among the youngsters.  That made tolerating the droves of people a lot easier.

But I learned not to mistake their generally meek demeanor for weakness or lack of resolve.  When we first staked out a spot to watch the parade I noted that, even though everyone sat on the ground, no one complained (that I could understand) and they seemed to automatically settle into lines or rows that left a respectable distance for others to walk around.  We were on the edge of the area and because of my knees, and also because I wanted to be a little higher for picture taking, I sat on an eight-inch ledge next to us.

Nope...none of that!  In a nanosecond a broom-carrying worker lady materialized behind me and ordered me (in English) onto the ground like everyone else.  I started to plead my case but she didn't allow two words out of my mouth, instantly repeating her orders in a much firmer tone:  You...Will...Sit...Down!  Yes ma'am.  I will never be out of order again!

Some Americans would have taken offense to her tone, but she initially made the request in a very respectable manner.  Had I immediately complied that would have been that.  I ended up wandering off to take pictures elsewhere because I just couldn't sit on the cement ground for any length of time, but even then I admired the spunk that enabled her to get the job done, and saw firsthand the spirit that's behind the order that characterizes Japanese society.

No comments: