Monday, March 28, 2016

Taipei Temple - Incense / The Day I Saw Concorde

As noted earlier, there is a fair-sized temple a short distance away from where we were staying in Taipei this past October.  Though I captured a number of postcard-style photos, which I find boring, this is a bit different, and the only one I will be posting from that site (apart from the three flowers just featured).  Applying the unsharp mask made the smoke curls really pop out against the red background in the upper left, similar to the look in another posting from an earlier trip.
_______________

The Day I Saw Concorde

Listened to another episode of the Airline Pilot Guy today while walking on the treadmill in the gym.  From the earliest age I've always had a passion for aviation, and in fact took lessons in a Cessna 150 as a teenager (until the funds were re-prioritized).  Even today I'll look up almost every time I hear an engine overhead.

But nothing compares to what I saw when looking up one day in Mexico City.  I was visiting down there in 1980 (while living further up north, in the state of Coahuila), and heard a roar from the direction of the international airport.  What caught my attention was the sound of the roar - it was different from the usual airliner we were accustom to...louder, sharper.  My jaw dropped when I saw what it was - the real deal, the Concorde, still very low as it thundered in a climbing arc back toward Europe.  The sight struck me as if I'd seen the President walking down the street!  At the time, of course, flights overland in the U.S. were banned so it was never seen there other than in the news and magazine articles.  Very impressive.

No comments: