Saturday, December 13, 2008

Houston Arboretum #4

I really like this one for its depth-of-field.

I discovered the concept of
depth-of-field quite by accident, while on a hike in Estes State Park in Colorado...one of the best vacations that we took as a family. We were on the trail headed down from Emerald Lake when I saw these neat little red cones on a conifer tree. With the 7000 I focused on the cones, zooming in all the way, and was surprised when the background came out with a blurred appearance.

With a little more experience I discovered that it is possible to control the level of blur by changing distance from the subject while in maximum zoom (though often the subject is in fact the blurred background instead of what is in focus). Thus I was able to get just the desired effect in today's post.

No comments: