Monday, January 9, 2023

Houston Zoo - Lounging Leopard / 20-year Picture-Taking Anniversary

Haven't made it to the zoo lately, but did find one visit that wasn't featured in the blog.  It obviously was a short visit, or unproductive for other reasons, so today's will be the first of just a few keepers from November 25, 2018.

 
You know, it dawned on me the other day that I've been at this for more than 20 years!  Yes, November 26, 2002, was the first day that I took pictures with a digital camera...the 3 megapixel, Fujifilm Finepix 3800.  It's been a very enjoyable run.  I thought there was no way to improve upon what that little camera could do, but in time the sheer wonder of digital photography as a concept evolved into a serious pursuit of creative perfection, and before long I lusted after the latest and greatest tools.  This led to an eventual upgrade to the Nikon D850.
 
I use the term "graduation" loosely here, because photographically I haven't really graduated to anything.  Some have called me an expert, but that's not so...I'm completely self-taught, and probably could not answer even basic questions about the technicalities of the craft.  Some have called me a professional, but that's not so either...I'm far too slow to keep up with the demands a professional would face in the field.  I did do some magazine work, but that was no more than the luck of the draw, having met and befriended a professional writer in Galveston who was in a pinch.  No, what I've done for 20 years is capture average pictures, then put the work in to turn them into better-than-average pictures.  That is all.

And that's enough!  I'm one of the lucky ones who found something to do that is enjoyable, fills creative time with lots of color, and makes that time fly while engaged in the hobby.  As an adjunct, I've found a place to park rough-draft narratives and stories for the kids to enjoy in years to come.

Thus I am thankful, and know I'm BLESSED, to have found something like this to fill my time both in the field and in front of the computer in post-capture.  Yes, I'm one of the lucky ones.
 
Oh - and just for grins, here's a picture taken on that first day (sorry kids):

 

No comments: