Friday, November 25, 2022

Neighborhood Walk Shots - Serendipitous White Flower

I remember learning the word serendipity.  While a college freshman I was a member of the Lutheran Church on North Street across from the campus of Stephen F. Austin State University, which is now a law outfit called Fairchild Price Haley & Smith.  If memory serves, the building was originally the home of Thomas J. Rusk, but don't quote me on that.  At the very least it was evidently at one time a very stately mansion, with brick pavement leading to the original carriage house in the back.

One evening we had a youth group activity, and the pastor built a pretty good lesson around the concept of serendipity with some examples of how it happens occasionally in science and society.  Remember it to this day, and I think of him and that lesson every time I make a serendipitous discovery.

Such as the one we see above.  It looks like a beautiful white flower, doesn't it?  Well, it wasn't a white flower at all, but a yellow one.  After I'd copied the flower itself into a new layer, on a lark I clicked on the Autocolor tool in Photoshop, and the relatively drab, yellow petals turned into this!  Naturally I went to town doing other things with it, which will be posted tomorrow and perhaps the next day.

Original image below, cropped to square dimensions:



No comments: