Monday, September 14, 2020

Yard Shots - Little Yellow Flowers


I have often stated that there is so much life, beauty and interest in one's own back yard that, armed with the proper tools, a photographer could spend many days, or weeks, or even months capturing things that otherwise would be taken for granted or unnoticed.  At times when we're in the yard watering or just hanging out I'll stop in my tracks (to the consternation of my friends and family, until they got used to it), get a bead on some seemingly insignificant object, then move my head back and forth a few inches to get a proper background as if my eyes were a lens about to capture something.  Chenjean gamely tolerates this when we're out on walks in the neighborhood.

This photo exemplifies the concept.  These are little flowers that we've planted around our pine tree in the front yard, and allowed to flourish until they've almost completely carpeted its base.  For several days I got to thinking that using bokeh with the grass in the background would make for an interesting shot.  Thus one day, when I got the energy to haul out the Bigger Cahoona, I took the time to move my head with a real camera lens and this is the result.

Incidentally, we discovered that in Hawaii this same species is so prolific that it's used to cover large expanses of lawns and landscaping, as can be seen in the photo below:


 

No comments: