Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Taiwan - Taipei Zoo, Smoke Stack / Learning a Language

I marveled at how they camouflage their smoke stacks in Japan so they won't be an eyesore, and was pleased to see more of that being done in Taiwan.  This one, jutting up from the Muzha Refuse Incineration Plant, very thoughfully was designed with zoo goers in mind.
__________

Since I am fluent in Spanish, people often ask me how to best learn a language.  Which computer program to buy?  Are there classes for adults somewhere?  How long will it take?  No matter the questions and what's out there, my answer is always the same - after getting some grammar and vocabulary down in a class, GO THERE.  Where?  Any Spanish (or whatever)-speaking country that is safe for visitors.  And put yourself in a place where there are NO GRINGOS!  In other words, become immersed in a place and circumstance where you CAN'T CHEAT!  That means where there is NO ENGLISH to get you by.  I not only did that but in 1980 lived in a place where it was impossible to communicate in English.  By the time I returned to the States I was dreaming in Spanish, and got a dose of reverse culture shock plus was having to translate back from Spanish to English after getting here.

This idea of isolating oneself from your native language in order to learn another hit home one day in Guanajuato where I took some summer classes.  One day I was leaving campus and ran across two middle-aged women who were quite obviously tourists from the USA.  When one of them attempted to ask me a question in Spanish it become clear that she hardly knew a word of it.  Since I couldn't understand the question, and since she appeared to want to use the language, I obligingly asked her in Spanish to repeat the question.  Again she failed in her attempt to even find the word dónde.  By this time I felt a little sorry for her and started the conversation all over again, but in English.  She seemed relieved and explained that this was her THIRD trip to Mexico to learn the language!  After a little digging I found out why there was little-to-no progress: on every trip her companion tagged along to provide translation services!  I am aware that some have more of an aptitude than others for language acquisition, but it's true in all cases that a leg won't get strong while you're still on crutches, and wearing a life preserver while in the water will not teach you to be a strong swimmer.

And I too have been guilty of using such a crutch, which is all too easy to do if it's available.  I've been to Taiwan five or six times, but have not progressed much in either my understanding or speaking ability to use mandarin.  Many times during casual conversations I've started a sentence in Chinese but midway through, finding myself unable to finish the sentence with a brain that is in foreign language mode, will automatically complete the sentence in Spanish.  It's not encouraging to see my listeners continue to nod their heads - whether in agreement or compassion I don't know - as if they understand it all!

But there are two exceptions when Chenjean wasn't with me to be a crutch.  One time I went with just my oldest brother-in-law to visit a park in Taipei.  This was not just any park, but a real national park complete with pristine landscapes and wildlife situated within the Taipei city limits, a picture from which is posted here.  Because the wife/crutch wasn't there, and because my Chinese was better than my brother-in-law's English, I managed for the entire 40-minute drive there to carry on a conversation in Chinese.  True it was broken, but by the time we'd been together for a half-hour I felt the gears turning just as they had in Mexico in 1980, when I lived there with no Gringos around.  This was encouraging but alas, we've not done the same since.

The second exception was when my father-in-law was visiting here in Houston, and it fell on me to teach him how to drive.  Yes, it was my job to teach my Chinese-only speaking father-in-law how to drive in Houston.  And he didn't (and still doesn't) know a single word of English - zilch, zero.  Before hitting the road I was taught the basic driving words...stop, straight, left, right, go, etc.  When he got behind the wheel you can be sure it was an hour of sheer terror, of hell.  But you can also bet that I used those words and remember them very well to this day!

So if you want to learn another language - first get the basics, then spend an extended period in a place where you must use the language to survive.  Most of all, it's important to learn to laugh at yourself and not be afraid to make mistakes.  That way, if you don't make as much progress as anticipated you'll at least have had a good time!

1 comment:

Marcia said...

I like the story about you teaching your father in-law how to drive. You'll have to teach me how to say those words in mandarin.

I am also guilty of using various "crutches" when it comes to speaking Spanish. I should be fluent considering I took it all four years in high school and worked in a dialysis center with 60% of the patients being Spanish speaking. When my mom worked at a meat packing factory, most of her coworkers were Spanish speaking. They would teach her how to say a word in Spanish and then they would not allow her to say it in English anymore.