Monday, March 25, 2019

Organ Day in Fort Worth - Wooden Hand / Coinicidence #3, The White House


I'd be sure there's a story behind why a wooden hand was carved into this ornamental piece, and why it is pointed downward.  Everything about these things must have some sort of symbolism and meaning in the church's history.

Today is my daughter's birthday.  Happy birthday Allison!!
_______________

This, the third in a series on coincidences, happened during college at SFA in Nacogdoches.  I lived in Dorm 16 for several semesters, and during the fall of my sophomore year ate my meals at the circular East College Cafeteria that was between us and Dorm 14, often with a friend named Robert.  Kidding around I used to call him "Bo-Bart".

That winter break I went to visit Dad and family in Wilmington, Delaware, and while there made a little side trip by myself for a few days to Washington to take in the sights.  While roaming around I spotted the White House and decided to take a tour.  This was in 1978 or 1979, when it was basically just a matter of walking through the door if you didn't mind waiting in line.

After having toured the East Room, the line wound around and ended up going through the walkway adjacent to the Rose Garden.  As we moved along I noticed someone that was familiar-looking behind me.  I took a closer look and, standing right behind me, there was Robert!  I said, "Bo-Bart, what are you doing here!?"  He originally had been further back, and after moving ahead in line hadn't noticed that his lunch companion of the previous semester was right in front of him!  As it turns out, at SFA he was in the ROTC program and was in Washington doing something related to that.  The following semester we got a kick out of mentioning in front of our friends about "the time we met at the White House"...

No comments: