Thursday, February 7, 2019

England - Thirsk, View of St. Mary's Pulpit #1 / My First Church Talk

The pulpit at St. Mary's also has a mouse carved into it, barely discernible along the bottom near the top step in this pic.

As a kid growing up in the Lutheran faith, I always saw a church pulpit as the domain of the high and mighty, and that you had to go to school to become holy then wear robes and sashes to earn a spot there.  How utterly wrong that idea was!  One of the first lessons and strongest impressions I got after being baptized into the church of Christ was that any Christian has a place in the pulpit or Sunday School classroom so long as what is taught is true to the Bible, and so long as the speaker is not disqualified due to a willfully sinful lifestyle, etc.  How simple yet how powerful! ...the power originating of course from the Word of God in a sermon properly prepared.

My first experience in speaking behind a podium (not a pulpit, mind you) in a church setting was when I was confirmed at the Trinity Lutheran Church on 16th Street in Orange, Texas.  I was twelve.  A group of us had taken classes for some weeks, and as a graduation exercise we all took turns to give a little talk to the congregation during a Sunday morning service.  After two or three had gone up and did their thing it was my turn.

As though it were yesterday I remember approaching the podium and seeing the audience from behind it for the first time.  I had developed a defense mechanism which staved off nervousness, but all of that tumbled down the moment I opened my mouth.  The reason?  I had not prepared for a moment what I was going to say.  Yes, for my first public church talk I stood at the podium and realized that I was going to have to wing it the whole way through.  Words did come out, but of course I flubbed it big time, embarrassing my teacher, my classmates and my clan all at the same time.  After that experience I realized that any innate talent or intelligence that I might have was not going to carry me through in all circumstances, so never again approached a public speaking engagement without being over-prepared.  I have since preached some (in English here and Spanish in Mexico) and taught many Bible classes and, some say, very effectively.  Through the years, however, I came to realize that I am not a teacher but an entertainer at heart, as anyone who has attended very many of my classes at church or my public meetings at work in the past will probably agree.

No comments: