Friday, March 2, 2018

Houston Zoo 2017 with the Bigger Cahoona - Camouflaged Vipers / The Rattlesnake

Very easy to run into one of these without knowing it - the zoo did a great job of equipping the cages to demonstrate the effectiveness of their camouflaged patterns.


The only time I've seen a rattlesnake in the "wild" was near Fentress, Texas, during a weekend stay at a cabin on the San Marcos River.  I'd gotten up long before the kids or other adults, so had time to go to the store to buy a few things for breakfast.  On my way back, on River Grove Road, a canebrake rattler was crossing the road.  I was right on it before noticing, and slammed on the brakes, backing up for a closer look.  After establishing that it was what I thought it was, I hurried to the cabin to get the kids up to have a look.  Unfortunately by the time we got back to the spot it had moved on.  Couldn't've gone far though, which made me just a little nervous...

No comments: