Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Washington - White House 01

Naturally while in the area we had to stop by the White House. This is along the edge of the South Lawn (I think).

I have been inside the White House three times, all on tours. It's too bad they have to be so careful now as a result of terrorism of all stripes...I understand that now a person must apply for a tour via his or her congressman.

But back in the day all you had to do was wait in line for a ticket, then come back and you could walk right in with the rest of the group. Really gave a feeling of accessibility. In Lincoln's day the huge stream of visitors was often greeted by the President himself.

On one of the tours I saw a friend from college, who happened to be in Washington for ROTC training. While we were in the walkway next to the Rose Garden I looked to my right, and there was Robert, in line right behind me! Just a few weeks earlier we were eating together in the dorm cafeteria in Nacogdoches, Texas.

No comments: