Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Davis Mountains 01

Well, as noted in the posting of June 4th, I did it. I am now owner of one of the "big rigs", as described in earlier postings - a Nikon D300s. This past weekend we went to the Davis Mountains, where I tried it out for the first time.

I forget exactly what it is called, but the lens was chosen to basically be mounted and forgotten...a 24-200 mm Nikkor with auto focus and not one but two levels of vibration reduction. I discovered that with that kind of power, some shots could basically serve as macros when the thing is zoomed all the way in. This is one of the first pictures taken with the camera, cropped to about 1/8th of the area and highly compressed (as all of these postings will be).

But nothing could cover the fact that I really didn't know what I was doing, and had to throw away about 80% of the shots due to over exposure. That's fine with me...as stated before, this is a journey that I'm very much looking forward to - negotiating the learning curve so that eventually the very best can be coaxed out of my new tool.

No comments: