Friday, September 11, 2026

China - Chengdu Food, Colorful Ice Cream Toppings / Where Were You on 9/11?

There were several vendors in the Chengdu tourist quarter that sold ice cream with toppings like this.  With so much color, I couldn't resist applying Found and Glowing Edges per below:


_______________
This being the "9/11" of infamy, I am taken back to 2001 when it all happened.  One of those "Where were you..." moments in life.  And I remember it very clearly.

I was off the year 2001-2002, having quit public school teaching to pursue another vocation, though at the time I had no idea what it would be.  As it turned out, however, being off was very fortuitous, as both my wife's mom and and a good family friend, Hadi Mahrous, died that year.  Hadi, at one time Chenjean's boss, had taken her in as his daughter since he didn't have any family here in the States.  Being executor of his estate I was able to dedicate the time needed to manage things.  And after my mother-in-law passed away it was necessary to devote time for overseas travel and be a part of things there.  Also, being our daughter's kindergarten year, it was a plus that I be home when she finished her half-day of school.  So being a stay-at-home dad was a win-win for everyone that year.

I'd also stayed home the year our son went to kindergarten, five years earlier, but forgot what it was like...and how hard it was to remain disciplined!  Because it was too easy to get lazy and start the day with television or other non-productive distractions while the kids were at school, I decided this time to stay away from TV altogether until at least 3:00 in the afternoon.  Thus on the morning of 9/11 I was clueless as to what was going on in the wider world.

That day, after doing the usual morning routine - mostly chores around the house - it was time to get a few things at the store.  So before lunch I went to Kroger.  The first sign that something was amiss was when I crossed paths with someone we knew named Lacey in the parking lot, she heading out to her car and me heading towards the store.  I said a cheery "hello", but she just looked at me and walked on, barely acknowledging my greeting.  Hmm...that's a little different.  Her eyes were red, too.  Hmmm.

Then I went into the store and did my shopping.  Had just a few things on the list, so it wasn't long before I was standing in line at the register.  It was here that I noticed something eerie.  The store was doing business as usual, but it was very, very quiet!  Why is it so quiet...where's the usual chatter?  I'm a little slow, so didn't catch on that something really big was happening until it was my turn at the register, and that was because the cashier was crying.  OK, so what's up?  She gestured toward the front and I saw a cluster of people standing around a CCTV monitor that was adjusted to broadcast the news, and that's when I saw the north tower on fire.  OK, gotta get home, and to heck with the TV rule...

From that moment until time to pick up our daughter from school I was glued to Peter Jennings' coverage on the ABC News.  I was frankly surprised when Allison said something about it and asked me what had happened, which made me think, Why would they make an announcement about this at an elementary school?  I assured her that New York is far away, and that we were safe here in Houston.

My spirit was drained with all the coverage in the days and weeks ahead, and I ended up getting seriously depressed.  Should not have devoted my days to hearing this bad news non-stop, but was drawn to it as if by a magnet.  But my malaise was nothing compared to what my step-uncle Johnny experienced...his Manhattan apartment had a clear view of the entire terrible event, and was close enough to see people falling from the heights of both towers.  Can't imagine seeing that.  His father was a long-time Baptist preacher, and they had to have many long conversations afterwards.

So that's where I was on the infamous 9/11/2001.  It's been 25 years, so there's lots of new and repeat news coverage on the 25th anniversary.  It's been inspirational for us to watch the occasional survival story on YouTube, and to focus on whatever positive can be gleaned from such a horrible incident.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, 25 yrs