Sunday, August 2, 2026

Williams, AZ - Shootout Shots #9

The shootout...

Once this performance was over everybody made their way to their assigned railcars to begin the trip. These actors stood alongside the tracks on our way out, waving and wishing us all a good journey.

But they weren't done with their day's work.  Each afternoon as the train makes its way back to Williams, these same guys and girl gallop alongside on horseback, firing their pistols into the air, whereupon the train creaks to a stop out in the middle of nowhere.  Then, playing the part of bandits, complete with handkerchief-covered faces, they dismount their horses, board the train and go from car to car "robbing" the passengers of assets and sense of security.  Of course it's all an act, and a way to gather tips for their entertainment services.  I put some money in my shirt pocket so that it dangled halfway out.  When one of the "robbers" got to our car I raised both hands, protesting that I didn't have any money to steal.  Naturally he saw the bill hanging out of my pocket and snatched it away.  I regret to say that it was just $1 instead of a ten or twenty.

No comments: