Friday, February 18, 2022

Downtown Houston Soft Opening - Spiral Staircase / Flickering Flourescents

Thought this spiral staircase with all the fluorescent lights was kind of neat.  But something came of it that I didn't expect.  As stated earlier, I bracket nearly all of my photographs for exposure, which changes the shutter speed.  Instead of the usual three exposures, however, since it was indoors and I wasn't as sure of the lighting I switched it to five.  This made it so the darkest frame had a shutter speed of 1/1600 sec. (The one above is a cozier 1/250 sec)

Well, fluorescent bulbs flicker...the reason they give some people headaches.  This is also explains why the frame below, shot at 1/1600 of a second, shows some bulbs on and others off, which happens too fast for our brains to process, which is the reason they look continuously on to us.  But they couldn't fool the Bigger Cahoona!  Interesting how technology can capture things we don't even see or notice:



No comments: