Friday, August 6, 2021

Bookmark - Columbus Cemetery (Graveyards) / Tombstone Trouble

As stated many times on this blog, I love a graveyard.  Graveyards are generally peaceful, quiet places, and very interesting...lots of history and culture, each unique to its locality.  So for me there is solace in slowly wandering through the rows of tombstones, being careful not to step onto the graves themselves.  And - as also stated before - while on the road for a business trip I would often pull into a graveyard to take a nap, as most have shade trees.

I suppose that the one I visit most is the graveyard where Mom is buried in Orange.  Lots of people and families we knew are there, and, sadly, even several of my peers growing up.  Seeing their names stirs mostly-good memories of days gone by.

My penchant for stopping at graveyards even got me into trouble at work one day.  We were in Austin on business, and I was on my way to a meeting after dropping off a presenter at the airport when I passed the Texas State Cemetery.  I had to stop, and got so lost taking pictures of its history and lore that I missed the meeting.  Not only that, I was so excited about it that when I got back to the hotel I shared my enthusiasm to some friends, which was overheard by someone who went straight to my boss.  I was justifiably raked over the coals, and had to take vacation hours for the time spent at the graveyard.  Was it worth it?  I've long since stopped second-guessing one's path and the things that happen in life...

No comments: