Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Taiwan - New Taipei Temple Area, Praying Buddhists

While hanging around the temple I heard a service of some sort starting.  There was a drumbeat and the tinkling of a small bell at intervals.  Upon stepping inside I saw the drummer, an older fellow looking at a sheet that must have contained an order of service or something similar.  He was separated from this group, to the right out of camera range.  As he was chanting and drumbeating I took a chance and, as he had his eye on me anyway, I pointed at my camera and raised my eyebrows in a gesture that asked, Can I use this?  At first he ignored me but I did it again and finally he nodded his assent.  The Bigger Cahoona and I got to work.

Sadly, though, this was the only keeper.  Mindful that the clack of the shutter would be distracting I never got close, trying to zoom in from a safe distance.  And with the middling lens that I was using, that meant shutter speeds that were just too slow to prevent the blurring shake for which the D850 is famous...

No comments: