Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Taiwan - Chenjean's Village, Snail #1

As it turns out, THIS is my number one favorite photo of the entire trip, that of a snail.  You never know...

This pic also serves as a reminder that you often capture much more than you notice when the shutter snaps (going back to this recent post as a prime example).  During post-capture, which I enjoy just as much as taking the pictures, I do a bit of cleaning up.  After cropping I usually lighten shadows and darken highlights to increase dynamic range.  Lens distortion is corrected if needed.  Even though my vacation lens on the Bigger Cahoona is tack-sharp I usually sharpen more, especially in shots of buildings and architecture.  Then I clean up, removing distracting or otherwise unwanted elements from the picture.  THIS is when I usually discover the little, sometimes very interesting, things not noticed before.

In the case of the photo above I was impressed that what appeared to be just debris were actually tiny bugs, as seen in this very highly cropped portion of just the shell.  You can see their little tiny legs supporting their little tiny bodies:

And who's to say that if you used a super-duper macro lens and shot one of these little bugs you wouldn't discover even tinier creatures crawling around on them.  It can go on and on, and probably does, way down to what is to us a microscopic level.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Horton Hears a Who? Jim snags a shot of a snail!