Thursday, September 21, 2017

Denver 2017 - Barenaked Ladies at the Convention Center

A few years ago, while attending my stepmother's funeral in Delaware, several in the family took a walk along the Brandywine River close to her condominium.  About a half mile upriver sat the tumbledown remains of Eleutherian Mills, the DuPont factory that supplied gunpowder to both sides of the Civil War, as I was told.  Because it was winter the trees were leafless, lending a mysterious air to the fractured walls and broken panes of the structure.  This was the perfect opportunity to take pictures of something through the bare branches of those trees.

If only I had a camera!  Feeling that it would be obnoxious to tote a big rig around on such an occasion as the funeral of my stepmom, I left it at home.  Thus, when we reached the historical site I was left with only my phone, a Samsung Note 4.  After snapping a few at the iconic site and reviewing them post-capture at home I vowed Never again!  The photos, while acceptable on the smartphone's screen, were lousy indeed.

A few years later and here we are at the Convention Center in Denver.  I'd just bought an iPhone 7, which was supposed to have one of the best phone cameras on earth.  Encouraged by all that was reported about its virtues, I snapped away, after getting a handle on exposure control, from our vantage point close to the back of the auditorium.  It looked great on the screen and I was anxious to check it out on the big monitor in post capture.

Very unfortunately anticipation turned into disappointment, as technically and visually even this photo turned out to be of very low quality...which is the reason it's displayed in such a small size above.  Those who assert that a phone camera will someday supplant a DSLR are sadly out of it.  There is a long, long way to go.

This post concludes the series on Denver.  Before moving on to another cruise that we took back in 2014, I'll post a half-dozen or so from in and around the house.

No comments: