Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Mourning Dove in Nest

A few weeks ago I noticed a dove carrying a twig from somewhere in our backyard and followed him to this spot, under the eave of our garage, where his mate here was busy building their nest.

I set the ladder out nearby so that she'd get used to it, then climbed up and down a few times so she'd get used to me being close (about five feet) holding the camera.  After about three days I determined that the afternoon light was best, setting to the west at screen left, and finally got the frame I wanted.

In so doing I couldn't help get a bit attached to the bird.  She was so stoic, sitting perfectly still but for the blink of her eyes, and wary but unperturbed by my presence.  Probably the closest thing to a pet we've had since the cat died.

No comments: