Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Nashville - Delta Nightime Panorama


One night the wife and I went for a long walk around the complex, pretty much just to take my new lens through its paces - a fixed f2/8 14-55mm Nikkor. This and the following night pics were taken hand-held, as I didn't want to bore her with carrying the tripod around and setting it up.

So what is the result? Upon using the lens I immediately missed having better zoom, and also the vibration reduction. Doesn't a faster lens without VR pretty much equal a slower one with VR? My conclusion is yes, and considering the amount of dough that went into the purchase there was some regret. However, after looking into these photos in post-capture I'm observing that even with slightly longer exposures there is much less noise than with the slower 18-200 mm lens used on the Big Cahoona. The quality of the photographs is simply better. So maybe it was worth it after all.

No comments: