Sunday, July 8, 2012

Strand Restaurants #1

On two occasions I was asked to photograph a magazine shoot. The first was for Texas Parks & Wildlife, and the next was for Texas Highways.

For the TP&W shoot we went to the Fort Boggy State Park, about halfway between Houston and Dallas. I loaded the kids in the van, along with the freelance writer and her husband. By the time we got there it was afternoon under a full sun so the shooting was lousy, but it was an interesting excursion nonetheless. Spent a full day in post-capture work, but only one was published - in the November, 2006, issue, under the writer's byline.

The picture posted here is from the Texas Highways shoot, in Galveston. The objective was to cover some restaurant properties on the Strand, so we (just me and the writer this time) went from one place to the next, with her doing the interviews and me running loose to do my thing. I brought along the trusty 'ole Finepix 3800 with a tripod for interiors - due to its great white balance performance in artificial lighting conditions - and the Finepix 7000 for exterior shots. It was going to be a full-spread story with my own byline, but unfortunately Hurricane Ike literally washed it away a couple of weeks before going to press. Such is life and luck sometimes..
.

No comments: