Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bahama Cruise 05 - Key West

There is a wooden observation tower in the middle of the tourist district in Key West, and it was from there that this was taken.

It was also from there that I used my new polarizing filter for the first time. I discovered that it does a great job of filtering out surface reflections and making the colors pop out...just like the sunglasses I wear while driving. However, I also learned that it considerably slows the shutter speed, by as much as two thirds. With an already slow lens, now I was having to struggle for sharpness in bright sunlight! The shutter speed for this shot was 1/200 second. The photos taken from this tower turned out OK - including some pretty good panoramas - but it was windy and with all the people around there was no use even trying to use the tripod.

No comments: