Tuesday, July 13, 2010

From 2006 - Colorado 03

After staying in Fort Collins for a few days we drove to Estes and hiked up to Mineral Lake. On that day I shot totally with the 7000, while giving the 3800 to my daughter.

This scene was on the trail. Vistas such as this, plus the fact that there were more streams and lakes to look at, was the reason Emerald Lake was chosen for us as a first hike in the Rockies. It was magnificent.

I didn't think much of this photo until others started commenting on it post-capture. Without realizing it, the rule of thirds was put into play here, with the reflection leading up to the trees, then the mountain. I used the burn tool to darken the curly log in the foreground, as it was fairly blown out. Additionally, the shadows were lightened just a tad so the trees wouldn't look so dark.

I've seen this same scene in several publications since our trip back in '06. Even one of my bosses reminisced about standing in the very spot where this was snapped. Very popular, and it's easy to understand why...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi dad. this was an amazing picture :)