Sunday, August 30, 2009

From Paris - Notre Dame 03

Turns out that not only do we have a functioning church here, we arrived just as service was starting! I just could not believe our luck.

The parishioners were seated by the time my son and I got to the front along the right side, and the service had begun. Naturally I stayed put and went crazy snapping non-flash pictures. The blue guy on the left was singing the most beautiful song, and the incense (or whatever it was that was burning in the pot) added an interesting visual element. Now I'm not a Catholic, and do not subscribe to a lot of what they believe, but will say that they know how to put on a beautiful service that gets the emotions stirring. It was a powerful moment.

My son, however, did not share those sentiments. After waiting with me a bit, he moved along with the line that led behind the sanctuary. Satisfied that one or two "keepers" had been captured, I followed suit.

No comments: